Tips to keep your Drain Line safe and clean:
All sewer and drain lines require periodic cleaning. Waste water carries residue causing buildup and debris which can cause fixtures to drain slowly, or not at all. This buildup can also clog sewer lines, causing flooding and nasty and smelly backups. The best course of action is to perform a routine preventive maintenance cleaning, preventing any drain line failures. There are many types of drain line failures in a home or business:
- Basins/Tubs/Showers: most common clogs are caused by hair and soap scum.
- Kitchen Sinks: most common clogs are caused by grease buildup and food particles.
- Laundry Lines: most common clogs are caused by lint and soap buildup.
- Toilets: commonly clogged with excess toilet paper.
- Outside Storm Drains: commonly clogged with leaves and sediment.
- Sewer Lines: commonly clogged with grease buildup, tree roots, “flushable” wipes, rust, paper towels, and sanitary napkins.
Prevention is better than cure:
Most drain line clogs can be avoided by a little prevention. Make sure that your basin, tub, or shower has a screen over the drain to prevent hair and other objects from entering the waste line. Empty cooking grease into the trash after it has cooled, DO NOT pour it down any drain or toilet. Use a lint trap on your washing machine discharge hose. Flush reasonable amounts of toilet paper at one time, and switch to single ply tissue if stoppages occur regularly. DO NOT flush paper towels, sanitary napkins, or wipes even if marked flushable; they are not. If you have a tree in front of your home, it’s a good idea to a sewer drain cleaning done by a professional to assess and remove any root intrusions. DO NOT use any acid based drain openers even if they are marked “safe for pipes;” they are not and can lead to costly plumbing repairs.
Call Pro Drain Inc. any time:
As you can see, there are a few things you can do to keep your drain lines flowing and prolong a professional sewer or drain line cleaning. If these methods cease to yield desired results, please give us at Pro Drain Inc. a call. We’ll be happy to help you!